Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The One that Started It All

Let's go back in time. Far back into the reaches of yesteryear...

{shimmer}
{shimmer}
{shimmer}
{shimmer}

Ahh.... it's 2009. December. The Christmas season is nearly upon us. [whispering] {oh, look, there I am! I'm sitting in Relief Society}. What is that paper being passed around? [looking closer] it's a sign up sheet for the ward Christmas Party. Ohhh.... a cake decorating contest? Niiiiiiice! Look at me sign up. Silly girl.

This is boring, let's fast forward

{squeeedlelelelleeeee}

Right. Let's stop here. It's the day before the ward Christmas party. I've already called on my friend, Meranda. She is an amazing cake decorator. Her skills with fondant are awesome! I've always wanted to learn how to use fondant. I grew up in a buttercream home so I've never been around it. I asked her to help me come up with something for my ward party. The theme of the party was "Whobilation" all grinchy and stuff. 

This is the creation she and her mother (with the littlest bit of help from me) came up with:


Her mom made the Grinch. Isn't he awesome!?

I made the doors (I know! Amazing, right?) and the little present hanging from the peak of Mt Crumpit.



It was from here that I watched how she worked the fondant and then I just copied it. For better or worse (my money is on worse) this is where it all began.

That was a nice trip through time. Can I stay? I wanna be in Denver. {sniff sniff}

Back to Reality.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! and after all, I would follow the Bakeshow to the ends of the earth:) Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I hadn't seen photos of this cake before. Here are some things I would be interested in knowing from the one and only cake blog I have ever followed: how do you make the INSIDES of your cake? what are the flavor combinations you use - cake, filling, fondant, etc.? have you or do you plan on taking any classes? what equipment do you use? if you search other cake blogs, steal photos and show what inspires you? are there particular techniques to master? why fondant vs. buttercream - i heard fondant doesn't taste very good (but have never tried it)? thoughts on cupcakes vs. large cakes? annual cake decorating contest? how does one become a professional cake decorator?

    Um, that was a little brainstorm session in celebration of my ignorance when it comes to cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) I love Amy's brainstorm session, awesome! Great idea, Heather! Can't wait to hear more. Maybe we should refer people in the market for cakes to this blog? Whaddayathink? (Of course, when there are some more posts.....hint hint.....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember you writing me about this amazing Christmas party! Wow - that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY COW, THAT IS A COOL CAKE! It's amazing how similar the Grinch looks. I know I sure wouldn't have that kind of luck. Okay, seriously, CLASS, CLASS, CLASS (I'd pay).... Oh, did you hear some little word floating around here a bunch. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete